Are you confused about choosing a supplement with lesser side effects and safer to use in your athletic routine? Cannabigerol (CBG) can serve the purpose! CBG can fight inflammation, pain, sore muscles, fatigue, and many other pathological conditions. It improves your fitness and exercise performance.
CBG is found in cannabis plants and hemp. It is the mother of cannabinoids because many other cannabinoids are derived from the acidic form of CBG called Cannabigerolic acid.
Moreover, CBG is the least plentiful cannabinoid found in cannabis plants. But the potency and extraordinary benefits associated with CBG have attracted many researchers to unbury the underlying advantages. Although CBG is not studied as much as CBD and THC, more research is being conducted on CBG.
1Cannabis leaf photo on unpslash
If you are unsure about using CBG as a supplement for athletic purposes, a brief detail of benefits and uses is stated below.
Extraordinary Benefits of using CBG
It has proved to be a fantastic supplement that increases the performance of athletes, boxers, and sportspeople. It also has multiple medicinal and healing properties for sore muscles, inflammation, and pain associated with strenuous exercise.
Improves Bone growth and health
CBG has proved to be tremendous for bone growth and maintenance of health. It is useful for athletes, sportspeople, and other people who put stress on their bones and bodies with strenuous exercise.
It maintains the standard structure of bones and improves growth and the ability to bear work out. Along with another diet for training, CBG can exponentially increase your performance.
2Photo by Damir Spanic on Unsplash
Analgesic effects; removes Aches and pains
Many experiments and studies carried out in animals suggest that CBG has effective analgesic effects than THC1.
A survey carried out by medicinal cannabis cohorts showed that 41-59% of the patients suffering from headaches, migraines, and chronic pain could substitute their analgesic drug prescriptions with cannabis2.
CBG possesses lipoxygenase activity which terminates inflammatory reactions. Although THC is a more potent anti-inflammatory agent, it has toxic side effects. At the same time, CBG can serve as an alternate. It is a non-intoxicating agent with excellent anti-inflammatory properties.
Moreover, CBG has surprisingly amazing results in Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). It is experimentally proven that CBG decreases the nitric oxide and reactive oxygen species (ROS) formation at the inflammation site, which helps treat inflammation3.
Ensures profound sleep
Are you experiencing troubled sleep? Try CBG! Because without proper rest you won’t be able to work out and do strenuous exercise. CBG is beneficial for athletes and sportspeople as It helps relieve anxiety, stress, and depression which may cause difficult sleeping4.
Increases appetite and food intake
As an athlete, optimum food intake and nutrition are critical factors for maintaining muscle shape and keeping the body strong. Anorexia and decreased appetite can be alarming for work out because the body’s nutrients requirements are not met.
CBG acts as an appetite stimulant improving food intake, which helps athletes get essential nutrients required for strenuous exercise. A study carried out on rats showed that CBG administration doubled the appetite and food intake5.
For professional and non-professional athletes and sportsmen, either mental or physical stress is a common issue. CBG sorts out both of them. Studies show that CBG binds to specific receptors ECS and has anti-anxiety and analgesic effects better than CBG and THC analgesics6. It helps athletes focus on their routine and perform better in the field.
An athlete’s fitness depends upon food intake and digestion status. Imagine getting proper food yet not meeting the requirements of daily calories requirements because of indigestion. CBG can fix this issue, as it is a great digestion promoter.
It lessens the chances of inflammation of any part of the digestive tract, which may compromise digestion7. Digestion is directly related to the absorption of nutrients from the small intestines, which go into circulation.
Moreover, CBG supplementation in patients with IBD lessens the severity of intestinal inflammation, improving digestion. You can’t risk your digestion as an athlete, and CBG rules out that risk for you!
CBG can treat multiple diseases:
CBG has multiple benefits in several pathological conditions. Some prominent conditions that are treated with CBG are listed here.
3Photo by Content Pixie on Unsplash
- CBG has this exclusive ability to kill drug-resistant bacteria. A study showed that CBG is a potent antibacterial agent for treating drug-resistant bacterial infections like Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)8.
- CBG reduces the growth and spread of cancerous cells, making it difficult for them to do metastasis. It is a potent antagonist of a receptor called TRPMM8 found in the endocannabinoid system. It results in TRPM8 channel closure and decreased cancerous cell viability9.
- CBG helps to treat glaucoma by reducing intraocular pressure. Study shows that endocannabinoid receptors are present inside the eyes on which CBG acts and decrease pressure in your eyes 10.
- Bladder dysfunction can also be treated using CBG. A study was carried out which showed the effect of CBG on bladder contractions. From all the cannabinoids, CBG was best for treating bladder dysfunction, followed by other CBD, CBDV, and THCV.
- Huntington’s disease, which can cause nerve damage in the brain, can be treated potentially with CBG. It possesses neuroprotective properties, which were confirmed on mice that were experimental models for Huntington’s disease. CNG also protects nerves from 3-nitro-propionic toxicity and motor deficit11.
- CBG is proved to be quite effective against inflammatory bowel disease, which affects millions of people worldwide. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects which decrease intestinal inflammation12.
Why choose CBG over Other Cannabinoids?
You have now learned the benefits and advantages of CBG supplementation of fitness and exercise. To develop muscles and maintain physical health add CBG to your diet as a must ingredient.
CBG is a lot more potent than other cannabinoids, with lesser side effects and toxicity issues. All these qualities make it the perfect supplement for athletes and gym-going persons. With the advanced research, more and more fitness buffs and athletes are preferring CBG over other cannabinoids.
- S G, A G, O T, et al. Cannabinoid CB2 receptors are involved in the protection of RAW264.7 macrophages against the oxidative stress: an in vitro study. Eur J Histochem. 2017;61(1):1-13. doi:10.4081/EJH.2017.2749
- Baron EP, Lucas P, Eades J, Hogue O. Patterns of medicinal cannabis use, strain analysis, and substitution effect among patients with migraine, headache, arthritis, and chronic pain in a medicinal cannabis cohort. J Headache Pain. 2018;19(1). doi:10.1186/S10194-018-0862-2
- Borrelli F, Fasolino I, Romano B, et al. Beneficial effect of the non-psychotropic plant cannabinoid cannabigerol on experimental inflammatory bowel disease. Biochem Pharmacol. 2013;85(9):1306-1316. doi:10.1016/J.BCP.2013.01.017
- N K, A D, J M, R G, L M, BN F. The use of cannabinoids for sleep: A critical review on clinical trials. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2019;27(4):383-401. doi:10.1037/PHA0000285
- Brierley DI, Samuels J, Duncan M, Whalley BJ, Williams CM. Cannabigerol is a novel, well-tolerated appetite stimulant in pre-satiated rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2016;233(19):3603. doi:10.1007/S00213-016-4397-4
- Cascio M, Gauson L, Stevenson L, Ross R, Pertwee R. Evidence that the plant cannabinoid cannabigerol is a highly potent α2-adrenoceptor agonist and moderately potent 5HT1A receptor antagonist. Br J Pharmacol. 2010;159(1):129-141. doi:10.1111/J.1476-5381.2009.00515.X
- Gyires K, Zádori ZS. Role of Cannabinoids in Gastrointestinal Mucosal Defense and Inflammation. Curr Neuropharmacol. 2016;14(8):935. doi:10.2174/1570159X14666160303110150
- G A, S G, A G, et al. Antibacterial cannabinoids from Cannabis sativa: a structure-activity study. J Nat Prod. 2008;71(8):1427-1430. doi:10.1021/NP8002673
- Dariš B, Verboten MT, Knez Ž, Ferk P. Cannabinoids in cancer treatment: Therapeutic potential and legislation. Bosn J Basic Med Sci. 2019;19(1):14. doi:10.17305/BJBMS.2018.3532
- Nucci C, Bari M, Spanò A, et al. Potential roles of (endo)cannabinoids in the treatment of glaucoma: from intraocular pressure control to neuroprotection. Prog Brain Res. 2008;173:451-464. doi:10.1016/S0079-6123(08)01131-X
- Valdeolivas S, Navarrete C, Cantarero I, Bellido ML, Muñoz E, Sagredo O. Neuroprotective Properties of Cannabigerol in Huntington’s Disease: Studies in R6/2 Mice and 3-Nitropropionate-lesioned Mice. Neurother 2014 121. 2014;12(1):185-199. doi:10.1007/S13311-014-0304-Z
- Ahmed W, Katz S. Therapeutic Use of Cannabis in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Gastroenterol Hepatol (N Y). 2016;12(11):668. Accessed October 6, 2021. /pmc/articles/PMC5193087/